Re: Black spots in Pt./Pd.

From: Kerik ^lt;kerik@kerik.com>
Date: 08/09/05-11:02:34 AM Z

Sandy,

Where did you get your Lenox and is it the same supplier you bought from
before?

I've always assumed it's some kind of fine particulate iron contamination
in the paper. And it varies from batch to batch over time. I had this
issue with Clearprint Vellum. When I first started working with it I had
ZERO black spots. After that batch was used up, I couldn't seem to find a
clean batch again. Very frustrating because this paper was PERFECT (in
every other way) for my high-key foggy images where any black spots stick
out like sore thumbs.

I've also had black spot issues come and go with Arches Platine over the
years.

I don't know of any way to prevent them. Perhaps first sizing the paper
would help, but I doubt it. Do you have lots of spots or just a few per
print? If they aren't too bad, you can remove them using Michael
Mutmansky's bleaching technique using dilute HCl and bleach. This
procedure was outlined on the B&S webboard several months back.

Contact me offlist if you want more info.

Kerik