Re: Learning a new process-reply

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 08/15/05-08:26:22 PM Z

Katherine,

    It has been my experience that people starting out in alternative
process can be easily discouraged by failure. I was myself discouraged by
attempts to make gum prints but I persevered
because I had already made some good cyanotype, VDB and salt prints thus I
knew that given time
I could work out tyhe problems. I also learned that when I asked gum
printers for specifics what
I got were vague answers. e. g. how much pigment should be mixed with the
gum? I never did
get a specific answer to that one. Of course the answer depends on the color
of the pigment etc,
Cyanotype is fairly specific and if you follow the specific instructions you
get a good print and are
therefore encouraged. You can muck about trying to make a gum print for
weeks an end up
with nothing. Remember he is trying to learn this on his own. It might be a
lot different if there
was an experienced instructor. Anyway, that is my opinion based on my
experience dealing with students.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #A0C6E5
2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font
style='FONT-SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5
size=1>
someone talk<br>&gt; &gt; you into starting with a more difficult process
like gum because there are<br>&gt; &gt; simply more ways to<br>&gt; &gt;
goof up with gum than with cyanotype and more opinions about how to do
he wants to learn gum printing and asks how best to<br>&gt;start-- is it
feasible to learn it on his own, or should he seek out<br>&gt;classes or
workshops or something? And your answer is, don't let anyone<br>&gt;talk you
into starting with gum?<br>&gt;<br>&gt;Lots of people, even lots of people
on this list, have learned gum<br>&gt;printing on their own without learning
cyanotype first; it's not all<br>&gt;THAT hard. Printing cyanotype might get
him to reliable cyanotype prints<br>&gt;faster, but I don't see how it would
get him to reliable *gum* prints<br>&gt;any faster, and if that's the goal,
why not head straight for it?<br>&gt;Katharine
Thayer<br></font></BLOCKQUOTE>