RE: Cyanotype - brown stain.

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 08/22/05-06:53:36 AM Z

Hi Pawel,

Which Cyanotype formula are you using (classic or new)? What paper you're
printing on? What kind of water do you use for the development/wash?

I never experienced brown stains with either cyanotype sensitizers. Just
slight yellowish cast in the highlights - which AFAIK, is caused by alkali
wash water forming an unsoluble compound. The only way I know to form a
brown cyanotype is bleaching it first in ammonia (or another alkali) and
then treating it in tannic acid. If your problem is yellowish highlight
stain then you can try to add 1 dessert spoon of citric acid into 2 - 4 lt
of plain tap water (in order to neutralize the alkali content of water
without making it too acidic - because it lowers the contrast of the
emulsion when it is so) and see what happens.

Regards,
Loris.