Simultaneous film-digital camera? (way off-topic)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 08/22/05-02:37:26 AM Z

This has been an ongoing debate between me and my brother in law for a
year or more, and I thought you guys maybe could help us resolve it once
and for all.

My brother in law was present when the governor signed a bill, since he
had been instrumental in writing the bill, and was very interested in
the camera that was being used to record the event, which wasn't like
any camera he'd ever seen before. He asked the photographer whether it
was film or digital. The photographer said "Both" and my brother in law
is sure that means that with one exposure, the photographer could get
both a film photo and a digital photo. I said I thought it more likely
that it was a camera that would take a film back or a digital back and
that the photographer could take a film photo OR a digital photo with
any given exposure, but not both at the same time.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a camera that splits light into
two parts (this was the explanation I was given this weekend for how
this camera could work) and sends one part to film and the other to a
digital array? Inquiring minds want to know....

Katharine