Re: Paper Negatives

From: Christopher Wright ^lt;cwrigh2@twcny.rr.com>
Date: 08/28/05-07:22:19 PM Z

Hello:

        Instead of using the declining supply of silver gelatin
papers (made for printing positives), why not try making Calotype
negatives? This process, invented by Willam H Fox Talbot in the
1830's and perfected by the French Calotypists in the 1850's, is the
basic form of photography (positive-negative) which has dominated the
medium til the advent of the digital image. The Calotype is the
original "paper negative," and was favored in the 1890's by the
Pictorialists and by such luminaries as William Mortensen.
        If interested, check it out on an internet search. If
tempted, email me. I have been making Calotype negatives for the
past several years (along with collodion processes which, because of
their -- relative -- speed I use as my "Polaroid") and would be glad
to share results.

Good luck!

Christopher Wright/
        www.visionsinsilver.com