RE: Just realized something about New Orleans...

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 08/30/05-05:35:00 PM Z

The city of New Orleans is currently being flooded to the level of
Lake Ponchitrain, which is higher than about 80-90% of the city. The
French Quarter is in one of the highest areas of the city (but still
barely above sea level) and will not see flood waters as deep as in
other parts of the city, some of which are now under twenty feet of
water.

The mayor of New Orleans has described the city as in "total
devastation." At this moment water is still flooding the city, and
most of the pumps are out of operation. It seems likely that it will
be many days, if not weeks, before the water will be pumped out of
the city.

Sandy