Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/01/05-12:02:07 AM Z

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Tom Sobota wrote:

> Beginners, and I was no exception so I know, mostly tend to coat too
> heavily. In this context, the "newspaper test" is useful, I think.

A propos of that newspaper test -- yes, I've read it in several old
manuals & articles. But IF they really did it then, I think we'd have to
modify the operation to do it now.... because the papers we use are so
heavy that even with the brightest light under them and no pigment I doubt
we could read much if any newsprint through them.

Demachy & co printed on a paper called cartridge paper, or like that --
about what we'd call typing paper today.

So you could coat your emulsion onto typing paper and give it the
newspaper test, but I suspect that the idea suffices.

J.