RE: Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 12/02/05-06:05:39 AM Z

Hi Joe.

Stain: It's very subtle actually. Maybe the scanning process took care
of it ;) I can see subtle stain with my bare eyes (it could be that what
I'm seeing is usual for gum and I interpret it as staining - I mean
there was always a very pale greenish tint in the papers I tried to size
with clear gum dichromate).

Step wedge: Yes, on my step wedge every step is equivalent to 0.1 log
density units.

Pigment stok solution:
Schmincke "Cerulean blue tone" #481
15ml tube poured in a film canister, slowly added (a ready made) gum
arabic soln. (stirring vigorously) until the canister was full.

Emulsion mix:
Part A - Pigment - 1 part Pigment stock soln. + 2 parts plain gum arabic
soln.
Part B - Dichromate - 5% Ammonium Dichromate
Final mix - 1 part A + 1 part B

Paper:
Whatman HP watercolor paper.
(Actually it's a CP paper; pretty textured when compared to COT 320 -
especially when it gets wet.)

Drying time:
10 mins.

Exposure:
6 mins under BL fluorescent tubes.

Development:
1 hour in still water (automatic development), changing water every 10
mins.