Re: album or box?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 12/02/05-09:17:50 AM Z

From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@pdq.net>
Subject: album or box?
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:05:27 -0600

> Hi, just curious about how people on this list present photographs as
> gifts. Do you prefer boxes, or albums?

I give my prints when the recipient is willing to pay for framing.

I frame my work myself but that's kinda necessity and I don't want to
frame for others.

> Albums make the present more of a story, because you look at the
> images in a certain order. Also, they are fun and sort of ceremonial
> to look at. I have never found an album in a store that I really
> like, so I make them by having black paper bound with a coil at
> Kinko's. Not very arty, but practical. Last time, though, the paper
> i used, Arches cover, was too soft. I need something a little
> sturdier I think. Any suggestions?

Most albums are no good. You should learn bookbinding so that you can
make whatever you want. For cover, you could use the solid cardboard
used to make hard cover and decorate it with anything you like (cloth,
etc.). A lot less expensive than 8-ply matt board (and anything less
is not hard enough for a cover of real albums).

Check out Zeier's Books, boxes and portfolios, or any book of that
sort at a decent library. I find Zeier a good starting point.