bellows extension in The Hole

From: Shannon Stoney ^lt;sstoney@pdq.net>
Date: 12/02/05-07:17:06 PM Z

>Richard Knoppow wrote on 12/2/05, 3:19 PM:
>
> > If there is no really distant object to use one can focus
> > a lens exactly at infintity by autocollimation.
>
>I just can't resist this one. If you're taking photographs, you can
>"usually" find some distant objects. I say usually because there are
>rare exceptions. When I was in solitary confinement in Federal Prison,
>there was simply no way to find a distant object within the 5x8 cell.
>Had I known about it, I could have passed my time contemplating
>"autocollimation." ;^)

You have hit on my exact problem. I was taking a picture inside an
old prison cell in the Walls Unit in Huntsville, TX (in the 19th
century building). ( I saw the "hole" there, by the way. It was a
closet (as you may know). It was smaller than 5x8. I took a picture
of it, and that one turned out fine. ) Anyway, back to the cell. I
was trying to take a picture of the sink and toilet, right next to
each other. Evidently I over-adjusted for bellows extension in the
tight spaces there, and the print was way over exposed. But I think
now I understand why: i was using expodev wrong.

I should have been contemplating autocollimation. Sounds like
something that might be sin in Catholicism, as well as within the
Texas Dept of Corrections system.

Solidarity forever.

--shannon