RE: Why multiple exposure (was Re: (Gum) Tonal scale)

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/03/05-01:34:18 AM Z

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Loris Medici wrote:
> I don't have any particular reasons in selecting that pigment. I was
> looking for a color very close to process cyan which is preferably
> single pigment, transparent, which doesn't stain heavily. My actual
> choice from the catalog was another color (the single pigment PB 15:3)
> but unfortunately that color wasn't in stock, so I purchased the closest
> color to my original choice.

A couple of points: One of the potential pitfalls of multiple gum is a
solid build-up of hardened emulsion (after several coats) so that you lose
the feel of the paper & may even have trouble coating smoothly. If the
paint has white in it, that is NOT contributing to the tone, you're
getting paint bulk that's not contributing density.... which,
theoretically at least, would increase that build-up.

Katharine points out that your "cerulean" is thalo + white, & you might
well get the same color with thalo -- by using less of it, since it's a
very strong color.

As for the 11 steps, I understand that with a light enough tone you can
cover every step, tho I've never done it -- but the darkest step will be
quite light. From habit, I was thinking in terms of a full range of tone
more or less from "D-Max" to highlight when I announced that 7 or so steps
is "normal" or even the limit. Very forgetful/careless of me.

However, I wouldn't dare guess how your "cerulean" will actually work in
an actual print... It could, contrary to the above theory, be splendid.

I also notice the small -- but important -- details of process this
discussion brought out. 10 years ago there was nothing like it.

J.