RE: Pure Pt printing and solarization

From: Breukel, C. (HKG) ^lt;C.Breukel@lumc.nl>
Date: 12/03/05-03:39:26 AM Z

Hi Marek,

After doing some more experiments with my Pt solution, I am getting less and less sure about the absence of Pt(IV) in my Pt(II) solution..I now do see isolated black specks, as Jeffrey inquired, these can be the K2PtCl6. And I see a consistent shorter scale on the Stouffer step wedge: a Zia step wedge shows almost all 21 steps distinct, whereas my Pt shows about 8-10 distinct steps (do not have the strips here), and a quite "heavy" PyrocatHD neg, which prints very nice as Zia, it's almost impossible to print the mid-highlights with pure Pt. What I do print looks beautifully separated, very crisp.

So I think you pointed me in a good direction: I will take a small sample of my Pt(II) solution, reduce it further (perhaps until I see some Pt drop out, at least than I am reasonably sure that there is no K2PtCl6 left), and compare it to my present solution.

Perhaps I can than use these 2 solutions as a contrast control set, taking the occasional black specksfor granted..;-)..

Thanks for your input, as well thanks to Jeff and Eric for valuable feedback!

I'll keep you informed,

Best,

Cor