Re: (Gum) Tonal scale

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 12/03/05-12:57:11 PM Z

Hi Joe,

Yes, if you continue to add exposure through a standardized step tablet
(stouffers), then you just move the same number of DIFFERENTIATED Steps up the
scale. This is helpful however for determining a proper Standard Exposure
Time, since once you get two or more of the darkest steps merged, you know how
much exposure is just enough to obtain printed DMax.

I think that the writings that suggest various negative densities for
different alt processes are just that—suggested starting points for various
processes, which would be very helpful when using in-camera negatives. With digital
  negatives, it is so easy to adjust the density of negatives by
modifying the color, that it is not such a great issue. However, knowing that an alt
process such as gum might take a negative with a density of around log 1.0
or 1.2 compared to salt prints, which might take a negative density of
around log 2.6 is helpful to know. When working with an alt process which
allows such contrast control, such as PT/PD, then a range of densities is
more informative. Knowing these ranges for different processes, or how to
adjust contrast with different processes, can also be helpful if you want to
make a negative and be able to use it with more than one process.

By definition, an alt process with a given exposure scale requires a
negative of a corresponding density range.

You've stated well the difference in print density that is a result of the
visual density of various pigments. Obviously, a yellow is not going to have
the same density as

I think your comments about getting good full color with gum are on target.
  The work that Chris Anderson has been doing with full color gum and
calibrating with the PDN system is very revealing and has given her what seems to be a
 very accurate reproduction of color—and each curve is different for each
color—with Yellow having the curve that varies the most from the others.

Best Wishes,
Mark Nelson