Re: Inkjet (2200) digital neg banding

From: Kai Hamann ^lt;kaihamann@t-online.de>
Date: 12/03/05-04:05:38 PM Z

Hello Clyde,

I assume you have tested various types of OHP foils and work with the one that gives the best results like e.g. Pictorico or Agfa Copy Jet. And I assume I understand it right that you are not talking about fine banding that can occur if the coating of the foil swells while the dot pattern is printed in several passes.

Finetuning an inkjet printer can be really hard. When printing BW photos on satined photo glossy paper with special formulated 3 gray inksets in the best quality on Epson 3000 (yeah thatīs some years ago) I had really annoying micro banding by overlapping ink dots in the spacing of the paper advance.

At the end I had to open up the printer and lower the printhead more than the factory adjusted lever for the paper thickness allowed. That could be done by adjusting a gear next to the eccentrical bearing of the round bar the printhead runs on. This fine adjustment was pretty time consuming but at the end it worked. If it had not worked I think the only way to force a tiny farer paper advance could have been made with a layer of thin self adhesive tape on the feeder roller. For sure both methods terminate the warranty and require some skills in repairing business machines so they are nothing for DIY inexperts.

Good luck
  Kai