Re: son of a gum tonal inversion test

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 12/07/05-09:50:04 PM Z

Greetings from Wyoming,

Joe, thanks for the link to your test strips. A great illustration of
staining from too much pigment.

I'm using powder pigment Copper Phthalocyanine (Winsor Newton's Winsor Blue)
at 1g per 130ml gum. The gum/pigment is usually mixed 1:1 with either
ammonium or potassium dichromate solution. It produces a strong print with
no staining in the highlights. I did use the hotly debated "pigment dot
test" to help arrive at that optimum ratio.

Phthalo blue is a great color. Cheap, readily available, fantastic covering
power and beautiful. When I lived in New Jersey, I researched sources for
phthalo blue powder pigment. It's widely used and I did find wholesale
sources for 55 gallon drums of the stuff! Yeah, that's overkill. I'm still
using my little bottles of Winsor Newton Winsor Blue. A little bit goes a
long way.

I've also seen the strange tonal reversal that you've experienced with
Daniel Smith's Bone Black. I've experienced it using Sennelier's Mars Black
and Black For Fresco (powder pigments) used at higher concentrations that
cause background paper staining. It seems that minimal exposure (as seen on
the higher points of the step wedge) will help clear certain pigments off
the paper while non exposed areas are heavily stained. No idea what's
causing it, but the effect disappears at lower, non-staining pigment
concentrations.

Best regards,
Dave Rose