Re: OT: Nikon D-70 for dig negs

From: Dan Burkholder ^lt;fdanb@aol.com>
Date: 12/12/05-04:05:12 AM Z

Hey Stuart,

The D70 and its "S" sister have a cleaned-up version of the D100 chip,
which I have used (actually, Nikon lent me a D100 about three years ago
and never asked to get it back ;^).

And of course, if you have a good capture from the D70 you can make a
good digital negative, just as you would from any other digital camera
capture. As to how large you can go with your negs and prints, it
depends on a number of factors like image sharpness, nature of image
(organic or architectural), expected viewing distance (don't even bother
trying to control this one; photographers will always have their face
against the glass looking for grain, noise, evidence of the afterlife,
etc.). Having said that, I've made some nice 12x18 inch pt/pd prints
from 6MP files. You'll have to discover through testing (make a print
and look at it) just how big you can go with your images and still have
them look "good."

One thing they dropped on the D70 was the threaded cable release, which
is a shame. I hate futzing with those electronic wires and fittings when
a simple, cheap 30 year-old cable release would do the job. Just
nitpicking here.

You may already know all the generic digital camera stuff like watching
for blown highlights (turn on the "blinking highlight warning when
reviewing images), avoiding dumped shadows (get intimate with the
histogram), and shooting in Raw mode so you grab the most information.
Just as there is no substitute for a good "real" negative, a good
digital capture makes your printing life a lot easier.

Have fun with your camera and let us see some pictures (please)!

Dan

--
www.DanBurkholder.com
www.TinyTutorials.com