Re: OT: Nikon D-70 for dig negs

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 12/12/05-09:50:31 AM Z

The 70 series are Nikons advanced amateur digital SLR line. That means
they aren't built quite as "tough" as the D2 line and have a smaller
pixel count. A great resource for info on digital camera gear is
dPreivew:

http://www.dpreview.com/

The reviews are very good, and the forums are also. There will,
however, be very few alt folks there.

Here is "my" take on digital gear for alt and digital negs: The
availability of Raw is more important than the pixel count. When we
make a digital neg with our current media we have to apply a very
drastic tone curve. If we apply that to a normal 8bit Jpg or Tiff file
we run a very real chance of getting .....arg brain freeze, I've
forgotten the word..... ?posterization? ....... noticeable "lines" or
"steps" between similar tones. Banding in a sky area for example.

If the camera (and the computer) can work in Raw and/or 16bit, this
problem is drastically reduced.

I would "assume" the D70 has this function.