Re: Paper negative???

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/12/05-11:07:36 PM Z

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, henk thijs wrote:

> On thin FB-paper (like the Kentmere DocArt): this one could be waxed by
> ironing with parafin;
> or made transparent by applying sunfloweroil. According to Peter Fredericks
> the sunfloweroil was the best of oils to use.
> There were even 'how-to-do' for using RC-paper , by separating the front from
> the back, leaving more or less a transparent neg.; I never succeeded to do
> this.

A propos of oiling paper, my tests of every single "oil" in this house,
about 12 of them, from kitchen and cellar, from olive & sunflower to
castor and lemon (for furniture) changed density as it dried, which
started as a rule by the next day. That is, the paper lost translucency &
began wending its way back to opaque (as measured by densitometer).

I described this in P-F #8. The only relatively permanent way of
transparentizing paper I found was with bee's wax. Parrafin wax was
nearly impossible to apply without mottling. Kate mentions parrafin oil,
but as I recall that's a term (originally I think English) for something
other else, not parrafin, but I recall not what...

Judy