Re: (Gum) Multi prints???

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 12/14/05-10:56:44 AM Z

Loris,

I haven't made any gum prints to speak of at this time, only test. If you
think this puts me in the category of those who should shut up and listen
and maybe get their hand dirty a bit more, well I can understand that for
you it may be the right thing to do. For me it obviously isn't a good
approach mainly for the following reason, most other processes, excluding
maybe all other colloid dichromate processes, have a large theorical
knowledge base or lots of maps with well defined roads and you know where
you'll get well in advance. Another thing most these process have in common
is they have just enough variability that one as to test for his specific
set of circonstance, I would call this fine tuning if you like but at least
you know basically where you are at all time. I see this TEST, TEST, TEST
all over the place but I know what to test for.

Ansel Adams said good technical skills and knowledge doesn't make a good
photograph but he never saw an excellent photograph having soso skills and
knowledge. The where all masters of their craft. (these words are from
memory, I could find the page if you need)

Now for gum well there are some maps of course but I see many areas labeled
"unexplored territory" and I ask the questions I ask because I want to know
if it is just because the maps I've found are not up to date or if they are
still unexplored areas. Doing whatever test you can think of when you don't
know what to expect well I think it's a waist of time.

As I said earlier about Tom reply on this question of multiple exposure, I
have a satisfactory understanding of why I have to do this, it is logical
and rational for me and you can be sure I wont ask any more question about
this. (Most if not all the single coat test I've made so far where (almost)
a waist of time)

Thanks
Yves