Re: Paper nergs without oiling.

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 12/14/05-12:12:50 PM Z

kthayer@pacifier.com writes:

John was wondering why anyone would need to oil a paper negative, since
he contact-printed RC paper onto RC paper in 30 seconds. My point was
that for alt processes, RC paper takes a lot longer to contact print,
and that's why we would want to oil paper negatives, although I haven't
found that RC paper oils well. That's all,

Dear Katherine, Within the field of alternative processes I could not see
why it would be of any serious significance to reduce exposure times. Longer
times obviously give you a longer range with which to make variations in
density with whatever sensitized material you are working with. Other than this I
guess some people have found that greater detail is achieved by oiling fibre
based paper/digital paper etc.,
              To mention, again, the prints of Jose Ortiz Echague I imagine
his way of making the large negs was to contact his original camera negs onto
ortho film to make positives, then enlarge these onto paper thus giving him
the full size negs for his Carbondir/ Direct Carbon contacts. These direct
carbon exposures often took several (six or seven hours) in sunlight. So
what.....? There were probably many other things he would have been occupied
with during these long exposures. Similarly, I have exposed Amm.Dich. sensitized
paper of very low concentration ( 0.0625% or 1/16% solution) for six hours
or more without a trace of pigment staining of the paper support. The image
seems to be literally ''burned'' into the emulsion at these levels. However,
I have not tried gum as the emulsion.

              Further discussion is welcomed from anyone on the subject of
sensitizing with Amm. Dich.
                     Best. John Grocott- Photographist skype number
carbons999