Paper nergs without oiling.

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 12/13/05-04:07:44 AM Z

Hi Gang, Several years back, using a camera made from a cardboard box and
a simple double meniscus lens ( two 1 dioptre i.e. 2 X 1000mm ) which equals
a lens of 500mm I exposed a sheet of Resin Coated Ilford Multigrade 10 X 8
for five seconds to make a negative by normal development in PQ. Without
oiling the paper it was contacted with a similar sheet and exposed for
something like 30 secs. and developed in PQ developer. People who have seen this
kind of print could not believe how it was made because there is virtually no
apparent grain and the tonal range is excellent.

                 The C/B camera was positioned on the roof of my car and held
steady by the weight of a house brick. The shutter was a strip of black
carpet tape stuck over the aperture( a piece of cardboard with a pencil hole in
it)
.
                   What would be the advantage in oiling paper
negs?......decreased exposure time of the print?? Decreased grain??.... The great
advantage of using paper negs, as Mr. King mentions, is the decreased cost of
negative material as opposed to film.

         Wishing you all happy photo days during the Christmas and New Year
break....and beyond.
          As that great philosopher has said many times. ''Keep it simple''
                              John Grocott - Photographist