Re: Rethinking pigment stain

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/14/05-01:41:14 PM Z

Just want to perhaps overclarify here that I do of course know the
difference between pigment stain and fog, as I spelled out in the
initial post in this thread. Pigment stain is pigment alone; fog is
crosslinked gum with pigment in it. I'm struggling toward an expanded
definition of pigment stain that acknowledges that excess pigment
behaves differently on different papers although in all cases it
manifests itself as pigment tone in areas where it doesn't "belong."
However, my expanded definition, defining pigment stain as pigment
where it doesn't belong, doesn't distinguish between stain and fog,
which makes it somewhat problematic, was my point. But since I've come
to see pigment stain as a continuum, rather than an either/or thing, I
want a more inclusive definition for it. Perhaps I shouldn't publicly
expose my thought processes, because some people find it confusing, but
to me it's more interesting to hash these things out in a public
discussion.

Whether the "tonal reversal" thing is stain or fog could be settled
with some kind of analysis, perhaps, to determine whether it is
actually just pigment or crosslinked gum with pigment in it, but my
point is that it would be difficult practically to tell the difference
between the two. Yesterday I proved to myself that the same pigment
concentration that produced the "tonal reversal" for me on sized paper,
also produced pigment stain (in the traditional sense) on the same
paper unsized, which is another reason why I think it's the same thing
just behaving a little differently on the sized paper.
Katharine