RE: glut

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@mynet.com>
Date: 12/15/05-07:14:00 AM Z

IME, the practice of sizing with gum has the risk of dichromate staining
unless you expose very carefully. When I coat the paper with unpigmented
gum + dichromate mixture and expose it 30 secs without the negative +
contact printing frame combo (my normal exposure with negative and
contact printing frame is 360 secs / 6 mins. In other words: I expose
the unpigmented gum + dichromate mixture ~ 3.5 stops less when
sizing...), I get a slightly greenish / grayish surface (very slight and
subtle, but you can see it clearly), not paper white. Probably I should
expose less in order to get rid of the stain (or reduce it further) but
if I do so, I may get suspicious about the effectiveness of the sizing.
Therefore, I size with gelatine and harden in formalin. (BTW, I should
admit that: I never tried to use paper sized in that manner - I mean for
gum printing, I didn't like the cyanotypes I've made on paper sized with
gum dichromate - and dumped that method when I saw the stain + my bad
experience with Cyanotype... I also didn't tried to establish a
non-staining exposure time - I guess I was lazy back then).

Regards,
Loris.