Re: Sizing paper with gum and dichromate, AND glut

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/15/05-08:46:38 AM Z

I concur; tried the gum size and it doesn't work for me. Unless you want
pale green highlights. The original question about glut: Maria, is it
pigment stain or overexposure is my question? Your friend may have just
overexposed. If stain, all I can say from practice is 6 ml of 2.5% glut in
1000 ml gelatin is enough to do the hardening.

Speaking of which, be careful about the Black Magic hardener. There seem to
be two different numbers--Maco Geladur and some other thing, and the one I
have is not 2.5% but much stronger. It is to be diluted into a 20% solution
and then diluted 1:20 in your emulsion (or gelatin) mix. So i wonder if
some that have had problems with the Black Magic hardener are diluting the
lower concentrate one that others are using on this list. The box numbers
are different I noticed...but as I am rushing off to school I cannot locate
the box brochure to give the number of the stronger mix. It could be that
they reformulated, too.
Chris