Re: Sizing paper with gum and dichromate

From: Joe Smigiel ^lt;jsmigiel@kvcc.edu>
Date: 12/20/05-11:33:30 AM Z

Ohhhh, you two are talking about using a layer of exposed dichromated gum sans pigment as a size... Got it now.

I have a suspicion that adding pigment to the mix helps minimize the green dichromate staining and somehow allows the metabisufite to clear any green chromium stain. Don't know why this is so but it seems to be my general observation and impression rather than being a hard fact based on targeted testing. I intended to test this recently but decided to wait until my chemist colleague got back to me with the results of his study of the green stuff.

joe

>>> zphoto@montana.net 12/20/05 11:58 AM >>>
My experience exactly, Kees, but am excited to see how you feel it does as a
size ina comparison to gelatin, below. Thanks for testing this--saves me
mucho time.
Chris