Re: gum printing color combinations

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 12/21/05-06:43:12 PM Z

Man has the list been quiet! Everyone is shopping instead of printing I
suppose.

BTW, update on PR260 the Old Holland Vermilion. I redid the print and sure
enough, hardly any exposure happened with 6 minutes and PR260. 6 minutes
was fine for the four other reds, including the opaque cadmium which was so
weakly saturated that I doubled the amount of pigment in my usual mix. So I
have to weigh in my mind: is the romance of using a color that is in no
other paint brand worth the fact that I have to do a totally separate
exposure and calibration to determine its unique time and curve? naaaaa....

I did determine that cadmium red, which I don't use anyway as a general
rule, is not that great. Its opacity makes for a dull final layer, it is
not that great of a color in general, and with all the other transparent red
choices and given cadmium toxicity, I will throw it out. Sure is pretty
brushed on a piece of white paper by itself, though.

BTW what the heck is the difference between semi-opaque and
semi-transparent? Is it like the difference between partly cloudy and
partly sunny? Anyone have a clue?
chris