Re: Portland SPE here we come

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 02/05/05-08:13:46 AM Z

Well, if it's on Ankeny Street, it's in a good neighborhood, right by
the Church of Elvis (a must-see, if it's still there), Dan and Louie's
Oyster Bar (a wonderful old Portland institution, best crab stew in the
world; actually that in itself is a cheap enough place, but the menu is
rather limited, mostly oyster stew and crab stew as I recall) and the
old Salvation Army building (where I was married thirty years ago, but
that's another story, a much longer one) which was long since converted
to a theater where you have to pay big bucks to see a play.

True, there are bums around there, but they haven't owned the district
since it was gentrified more than 20 years ago; the area is now called
Old Town and is full of tony restaurants and whatnot, and there's no
reason to be nervous about going there at night. The bums have mostly
moved over to the other side of Burnside anyway. If you're going to the
Photographic Image Gallery (not high on my list as a rule) you'll be
right in that neighborhood anyway. Max runs right through there, so you
can hop Max from the hotel.