Re: Adhesion

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 02/19/05-11:40:27 PM Z

Sorry to send this message once more - I already sent it yesterday but it
didn't seem to have been posted to alt.photo...

> The gum process requires that the gum that's not exposed, that's still
> soluble, must be free to leave. I'm sure you must know this, so I take
> it you're saying that this close chemical bond between the silane, the
> glass, and (theoretically) the gum would be loose enough to allow the
> soluble gum to be released while at the same time it would hold the
> crosslinked gum tight to the glass?

Just a guess but I assume the situation of a silane/gum coated glass will
not greatly differ from that of a gum coated paper.
Maybe we ought to consider a photo layer (say, a "normal" silver halide
layer, dichromated gum, photopolymer etc.) as a three-dimensional
structure -
even if it's a few um thick only. Its surface is likely to behave
differently from those parts closest to the substrate.
If that particular silane ( 3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane) really behaved the
way I believe, the only relevant region would be where gelatin/gum gets in
contact with the glass. I assume this to take place on a "sub"-nano level
AND NOT throughout the whole layer thickness.
But as you already pointed out, unless someone tried... Well, at least with
gelatin it works.

Martin