Re: Adhesion

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/20/05-09:38:08 AM Z

From: MARTINM <martinm@SoftHome.net>
Subject: Re: Adhesion
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:40:27 +0100

> Sorry to send this message once more - I already sent it yesterday but it
> didn't seem to have been posted to alt.photo...

I have the same problem.

> Just a guess but I assume the situation of a silane/gum coated glass
> will not greatly differ from that of a gum coated paper.

Between these supports, there is a big difference in dimensional
stability and elasticity of the support. Paper base will swell and
expand to some extend to accomodate the same in the gelatin, but glass
won't.

> If that particular silane ( 3-aminopropyltriethoxysilane) really
> behaved the way I believe, the only relevant region would be where
> gelatin/gum gets in contact with the glass. I assume this to take
> place on a "sub"-nano level AND NOT throughout the whole layer
> thickness. But as you already pointed out, unless someone
> tried... Well, at least with gelatin it works.

What's your rough swell factor, and in what kind of pH range of
gelatin solution does this particular silane effective with gelatin?

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know