Re: Monitor Calibration and digital negatives

From: Tom Ferguson ^lt;tomf2468@pipeline.com>
Date: 02/21/05-11:15:46 PM Z

I have the ColorVision Optical system. Very nice on a CRT, just "OK" on
a flat screen. If highly accurate color is important, these puck
(spyder) based systems are great.

For monochrome alt work, they may be overkill.

If you are on a Mac with OSX you have a very nice optical (use your
eyes to measure) monitor calibrator built into the operating system. Go
to System Pref > Displays > Color > Calibrate. Use the expert mode.

If you are on a pc "AND" have Photoshop or Illustrator installed, you
also have a small Adobe app called "Gamma" installed on your system. It
is very similar to the Mac calibrator. It has been too long since I set
up a PC screen, I can't remember where to find this or the setting to
use. But, It worked nicely on the PC.

With either of these, you are using your eyes. As odd as it sounds, you
want to see tones, not details, when calibrating. Most folks find it
best to sit back a distance from the screen and squint (or remove your
glasses). You WANT your vision a bit blurred when using either of these
calibrators!

I still use the Mac OSX optical calibrator on my iBook laptop. I get a
nicer (more nuetral) screen this way than I do with the spyder!

Tom Ferguson
http://www.ferguson-photo-design.com