Re: Large Format Lens Question. Low tech answer

From: Grafist@aol.com
Date: 02/25/05-05:06:33 AM Z

Hi Barbara,
 You can make a very, very, very cheap lens that with cover a 10x8 format by
using two 1000 mm (1 diopter = 1000mm)(together make 500mm) spectacle meniscus
lenses, together and stopping down greatly(aperture the diameter of a pencil)
to give greater edge to edge sharpness. They are obtainable from an optical
suppliers and can be made of either glass or acrylic. The glass ones are
cheaper. This would enable you to begin using your large format Deardorf camera for
landscape work, still life, portrait at least. I have used this lens
arrangement with a cardboard box and paper negatives. The results were surprising and
very acceptable to say the least. Also used with 10x8 Devere studio duo -rail
that weighs a ton. The cardboard packing box on top of my car held down with a
house brick results were as good as the more sophistcated setup. No shutter
is required. Just a cap over the lens. About five seconds exposure. If I
remember correctly the two lenses cost me about eight dollars (five pounds). They
are still in use at present with a 12``x 16`` format swing back camera which
took me most of last year to build. Good luck with your work.
                  Best wishes from London. John Grocott