Re: Home made Lenses ( was Large Format Lens Question. Low techanswer)

From: John Cremati ^lt;johnjohnc@core.com>
Date: 02/27/05-04:58:08 PM Z

That drill press idea was basically how the machine I had functioned......
The bronze bearings ( some will have Needle bearings ) certainly will not
hold up if used a lot in this fassion for long especially if the slurry mist
gets into the works......... You would dope a piece of glass in a holder
and
press it onto a mold that is revolving using grit in-between...... I
actually like the drill
press Idea better because you could form a dam for the slurry.... .........

        I recently built a glass drill using a cheap Chinese drill press
that I bought new for $35..... I made the drills out of steel V pulleys
used for fan belts. I then tack welded strips of perforated metal screen
to the parameter of the of the pulley....... I then make a dam and put a 100
grit slurry in it and drill the piece of thick glass...... I made a set
that would go from 3 inches up to 12 inches in 1 inch increments...... for
Smaller sizes I just bought diamond drills.

Correction The name of the book I mentioned before is "Lens work for
Amateurs"...