Re: Submitting work on CD.

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 02/27/05-04:48:56 PM Z

Once again I'm going off the top of my head . . . . .

  . . . but, if you lower the dpi and scale of an image and save it as
a JPEG, say all imagery is about 144 dpi and 7x5 (approx), you can then
grab that under <automate> in Photoshop CS and that will build a file
quickly. Include Adobe Reader on the CD and anyone can see your work.
The PDF file sizes can grow for sure so one should first shrink a file,
then PDF it and look at it to see if it satisfied one. Then if it does
not, increase the resolution or shrink it again.
Jack Fulton

On Feb 27, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Ryuji Suzuki wrote:

> This is a continuation of a thread more than a month ago, but I'm
> wondering how many people actually tried to use PDF as a way to
> submit/present/catalog/disseminate/whatever photographic work. I've
> tried something myself, and like to compare notes with others who
> tried it. I can't seem to find much on this topic on the web...
>
> It's very convenient that I can carry my PDF portfolio in a memory
> stick, and have a copy on the web... Also, I can embed images in
> slightly larger sizes in the PDF file, and let the PDF viewer adjust
> the image size to the screen size/resolution by reduction for best
> results, so that I don't have to assume the monitor resolutions,
> window sizes, etc., which would be a source of headache in HTML/JPEG
> presentation. The price is that one PDF containing 30 images of
> slightly larger-than-normal sizes would take up some 10 MB. Though
> downloading the file may take a minute with a DSL, cable or other
> faster connections, the rest of the navigation is fast and easy.
>
> --
> Ryuji Suzuki
> "Well, believing is all right, just don't let the wrong people know
> what it's all about." (Bob Dylan, Need a Woman, 1982)
>
> From: Phillip Murphy <pmurf@bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: Submitting work on CD.
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:07:49 -0600
>
>> PDF is a very good choice. You can simply layout your
>> images and type in Photoshop and "save as" a photoshop pdf.
>> Acrobat Reader has no problem reading photoshop pdfs.
>>
>> Although Acrobat Reader is ubiquitous, I would include a copy
>> on the CD for the user to load on their computer if needed.
>> Adobe will grant you free licensing to do so.
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/distribute.html
>>
>> Since you want to keep things simple, you may want to
>> try using FlashPaper, especially if you embed the FlashPaper
>> in an HTML document. Flash has approx. a 96% saturation
>> in the browser world so universal viewing is likely.
>> FlashPaper doesn't have all the bells and whistles like
>> PDF's, however, it works for most situation where you
>> need to present a document or image as it's original design
>> intended.
>>
>> http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashpaper/
>>
>> all the best,
>>
>> Phillip
>>

>> Ryuji Suzuki wrote:
>>

>>> If PDF is acceptable I'd go with PDF.
>>>
>>> There are many free softwares that can create as well as view PDF
>>> files. So there are a number of ways to do this without paying for
>>> Adobe products. I routinely make scientific presentations using
>>> pdflatex and ppower4, which makes PDF files that open in full screen
>>> mode by default. Put it into an USB memory stick and I never had a
>>> problem with power point glitches. Plus these files are also
>>> printable
>>> as-is in virtually any platform.

You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket.
                        John Adams