Re: Crappy/Krappy

From: Dalyvoss@aol.com
Date: 01/03/05-06:32:31 PM Z

----- Original Message -----

> From: Christopher Lovenguth

>>I don't see painters saying "I
>> used a #3 round head brush" and measuring with scales exactly what
>> combinations of paint they used to get that color or timing how long
>> they let their canvas dried before applying the next coat.

                    Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA & Venice Beach, CA

I'm a painter and printmaker, and over the 20+ years i've worked at it, i've
known a lot of painters, and it's been my experience that the ones who do
the most talking, do the least painting. The ones who obsess over materials
and techniques love the social aspect of being a painter... after all, it takes
at least two to discuss materials and techniques! If that is what one loves
about being an artist, then good for them.

There is however another group who quietly paints/prints/sculpts without
doing a lot of talking about technique/materials. The knowledge is there about
the materials... it has to be to a certain degree at least... but as for yada
yada yada about this or that paint or surface or brand... i've never seen it
happen to the degree that i see some photographers discuss technique,
lenses, cameras etc. When i get together with painter friends, we don't talk about
technical stuff... we talk about politics, or music or sometimes even ART
(whatever that is). When we look at each other's work, the conversation is
usually more about the feelings evoked by the piece, not what brand of paint was
used ;o)

susan

_dalyvoss.com/paintings_ (http://dalyvoss.com/paintings/)
Susan Daly Voss