Re: Crappy/Krappy

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 01/03/05-07:54:23 PM Z

Aw, come on! The painters and sculptors I know, and I'm about to be tempted to drop names, all discuss pencils, bondo versus clay, paint from Auto paint to Windson Newton, Krammer colors, Gum arabic versus terpentine, solvents, board or canvas, textures, streatched or readi-made -- which brand, cheepest -- what materials last, i.e. fiberglass, paper mache, plastic molds, what kinds of stone, marble from Italy, Brussels, Carerra or indonesia . . . in Carmel they still argue over Sienna or Burnt Sienna.

Sure we talk politics, war, peace, dope, in or out, movies, stars, who do you know, galleries, patrons . . . and the best comment is 'nice.' Never good. Feelings? From a painter?!

I found Sartre's "Essays on Aesthetics" to fit the mold to a tee.

So, photographers discuss materials and technical stuff. So? We talk about the weather, mostly.

Come on, why single out photographers. I'm sick of that cliche . . . the big thing in the arts right now is materials. Using construction and building materials. My mother's using mesh to do her sculptures. Did it with Portland Cement . . .teaches how to armature Portland cement.

How about ceramicists? Talk about techniques. Raggu? Temperatures? Patinas?

Give me a break.

All they TALK about is materials. And space . . . space to work, space to exhibit.

I don't know the artists in your community, but . . . . well so much for now.

S. Shapiro