Re: Photogravure

From: Dalyvoss@aol.com
Date: 01/05/05-09:21:20 AM Z

In a message dated 1/5/2005 9:47:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
HNMM@hcleary.freeserve.co.uk writes:

Keep me in touch with your efforts. I have only managed to make one copper
plate and I decided you need the skills of a photographer of a century ago for
the production of the negative and the skills of a master printmaker to
produce the copper plate. They are beautiful images however. Is photo-etching
considered as photo-alt by the list? It falls between two schools as
printmakers sneer at the use of photography to create the image and photographers
regard the production of a metal plate as non-photographic. I do a lot of
photo-etching work and consider it my substitute for photogravure. Hellena-----
Hi Hellena,

I'm unsure of what you mean by "photo etching" work. Intaglio prints?

How were you making your negatives? I will be using digital negatives
printed on my epson 1280 to begin with.

As for me, my BFA is in printmaking, but finding a press to use was so hard
that for many years i have ended up doing a lot more painting than
printmaking. last summer i bit the bullet and bought an intaglio press of my own ( and
explained to my 12 year old Buick that it will have to run for another 12
years :o) ), after having seen Cy Decosse's photogravures at AIPAD. It was
love at first sight, and i realized it is a process (there's that word again),
where i can use both my photography and printmaking skills. Sounds easy! HA
HA HA!!!

today my task is working on building the big studio tables where all this
will happen! (no university should ever graduate an art major without credits
in a good woodshop class!)

susan

_dalyvoss.com/paintings_ (http://dalyvoss.com/paintings/)
Susan Daly Voss