RE: Help with gum pritns on black paper with white Gouache.

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/14/05-12:05:05 AM Z

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Loris Medici wrote:

> Do you know the pigment in paint the you use? I recall white paints with
> Zinc Oxide won't let UV light pass through them - maybe you should try a
> more expensive Titanium White paint. Please bear in mind that I never
> tried gum over black paper - this is just what came into my mind reading
> your question. And of course paper itself may be causing the problem
> too...
> Regards,
> Loris.

Loris, I think you've got it ! You remind me that I had a similar problem
several years ago, and one paint worked, the other didn't... The chinese
white (zinc) was AS I RECALL the one that didn't work -- but the titanium
white was actually gouache and did work. But... the brands differ, so
there are no guarantees, there are also mixes that can go either way.

However, this was mainly for tinting colors. If you want tone in white on
black, my experience is you probably need 2 coats.

Judy