RE: Help with gum pritns on black paper with white Gouache.

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/16/05-02:15:36 PM Z

Meanwhile, I have recalled two white-paint-on-black-paper gum prints by
students reproduced in Post-Factory #1 (1998), pages 8 & 9.

The one on p. 8 by Sandy Rosenberg was "taken with 35mm camera on the
streets of Kashmir in 1976." The one on p. 9, was by Menno Kok, an
exchange student from the Netherlands. Both have continuous tone and both
were done on black paper using positive transparencies. Neither shows its
true verve in the offset repro, and, sorry, no further technical details
are included.

Even if there were, paints & papers won't be the same 8 years later. Some
trial and error needed no matter what. However, FWIW, I myself had tried
printing on black gesso'd paper & found a coat thick enough to make an
opaque black lost too much of the paper character & tooth.

Judy