Re: Help with gum pritns on black paper with white Gouache.

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 01/18/05-02:56:26 PM Z

Hi Katherine,

I agree that the grinding might be different, and it is natural to think
that the pigment for gouache is grind less because it is intended to be used
opague, but the difference might not be that much for our use (though upon
close examination you might be able to tell as you have tried it); but I
think it is still transparent enough to make full-range prints.

As for additive, however, W&N literature specifically said that they don't
add additive to increase the opacity and that they use more pigment instead.
That's probably because nowadays there are many gouache artists that use
gouache to create their arts (whereas in the old old day gouache is mostly
used for temporary poster or something to be photographed).

But of course one need to check the ingredients. For example, I was mainly
talking to pigments like burnt sienna used in watercolor versus the same
burnt sienna in gouache. That would be the same except perhaps for grinding.
But just the name of the color itself doesn't tell much. For example, some
magenta in the gouache line has dye added to make it look better.

If we are talking about painting, then there are some physical difference
too, like the gum in gouache is less than gum in watercolor because
watercolor is expected to be diluted much more than gouache is, so if we
dilute gouache to the strength of watercolor, the brushability feels
slightly different; but that difference is not affecting much when used in
gum.

To achieve opacity, one does not always have to add other ingredient that
makes it opague though. One could, for example, make the gum thicker and
have more concentration of pigment. That is one reason why gouache is
usually painted thick. You can see and feel the thickness of it, whereas in
watercolor, the layer is so thin. So in that sense, if you use a transparent
watercolor and lay it down thickly, especially if you lay down a few layers
taking care of not disturbing the layer beneath it each time you layer, you
can achive opacity with transparent watercolor even though it is not
intended to be used that way.

Dave