Photography & Blind kids (morphed from 500W Halogen lamps instead of a flourescent box?)

From: Barry Kleider ^lt;bkleider@sihope.com>
Date: 01/21/05-11:58:26 PM Z

Joe,

Oh, fun solarplate! Yes! I get it.

What did your kids think about it?

About a year ago, I was asked to teach photography to some work with
both blind and low-vision kids at the Minnesota State Academy for the
blind in Faribault.

We gave cameras to 18 kids. The kids also got to make solarplates from
their favorite picture. It was a HUGE experience for me... I had to
completely deconstruct everything I knew about photography and figure
out why and how we do what we do.

I'm getting ready to go back to work with the same group of kids again.
In fact, I start on Monday. On Thursday I'll be teaching blind kids
about the different qualities of light. (After all, how can you talk
about photography if you never mention light? And what more arcane thing
to discuss if you happen to be blind?)

What a gas!

Barry