Re: Gum print formaline

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/27/05-06:43:04 AM Z

From: Kare Bondeson <kare.bondeson@medsci.uu.se>
Subject: Re: Gum print formaline
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:35:09 +0100

> I have spent a full hour searching the archives and the FAQ about how to
> use glutaraldehyde in gelatin sizing, but find no hints to how to do it .
> Can someone who has not done enough community service in this area ,
> please, help a newbe!

Prepare a dilute glut (I use 2.5%) and slowly stir in this solution to
the gelatin size before applying to the paper or any other
substrate. Apply the size to the paper and let the size dry. Dried
paper should be ready for use.

The amount of glut is something you want to determine for your
gelatin. Gelatins vary considerably in terms of its chemical
properties. It is best to determine your best dose by testing with
your gelatin size solution at the actual temperature of applying the
size. (Photographic gelatins of large molecular size tend to respond
to small amount of hardener, but food gelatin of low molecular size
tends to take more hardener to take effect. Also, more dilute gelatin
solution takes more hardener to harden.) I think at least one person
on this list has experience with 2.5% glut and 2.8% food gelatin, so
she may be able to help on the dose guideline.

Don't forget about good ventilation -- if you can smell glut, you need
ventilation.

Let me know if this isn't enough.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,