Re: lens questions

From: Thom Mitchell ^lt;tjmitch@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 07/06/05-08:47:27 AM Z
Have you tried this trick previously under stable conditions? Using the sunny F/16 and be there, etc. My guess is that the lab guy is correct and it most likely is the way the film and sensors operate. Did you bracket your exposures with the Hassy? Maybe you can generate a "conversion factor" in the future. What did your hand-held meter say? Obviously the light generated by the welding process changes with the welding activity, did you add any artificial light? You mentioned that your D-1 generated exposures that weren't great "but within tolerance". My guess is that baring any problems with the gear the Provia latitude is less than that of the D-1. The only way to know this is to test it for the future. Good luck. -Thom

Barry Kleider wrote:
Last week, I was shooting some welders.

My ultimate goal was to shoot them with a Hasselblad and a 150 f4 lens. (No internal meter.)

Since these exposures are obviously tricky, I started with my Nikon D-1 and a Tamron 28-70 f2.8

I was getting some decent exposures - nothing great, but certainly within tolerance for a first attempt. So I decided to switch over to the Hassy using the same readings.

Since the Nikon was running at ISO 200 and my provia is 100, I gave it a full stop. I got the lab results today: $%#^$%. (Translation: way too dark and looks like s**t.)

So my question is: what's the relationship between a medium format Hassy with a 150 f4 lens, and a 35mm Nikon with a 28-70 f2.8 lens (running close to 70 if not full on)?

I assume there's a very straight-forward (though possibly hard to follow) explanation having to do with the difference in lens designs rather than a format comparison or a digital vs. analog thing (as my lab guy surmised.)

Barry