lens questions - redux

From: Barry Kleider ^lt;bkleider@sihope.com>
Date: 07/06/05-10:13:40 PM Z

thanks to all for offering two cents (and more) on this question.

In reading through the responses, I have some clarifications and some
extra questions.

First, a clarification: Provia is a transparency film, so the negs being
dark = underexposure, not overexposure. (It's also possible that I
pushed the film instead of pulling it, and two stops might have been too
much.)

Exposure comp on the D-1 was set to 0 - unless it automatically protects
itself from burning out.

I hadn't thought of using a Polaroid to test the 'blad. Duh!

Here's a question: Bob is suggesting hitting the scene with a massive
light source. Wouldn't that destroy any chance of grabbing the flying
sparks? (I can imagine using a fill flash to give some depth to the face
shields, gloves work area, etc. but it seems all the magic of welding is
in the fire/heat/spark. Maybe this is a is a difference in artistic
approach.)

Barry