Re: Scopick - the book

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 07/13/05-08:34:46 AM Z

Judy,
As I posted a while back, Anderson didn't devise the stain test, it was
invented by Wilhelm Koesters and was in his book Der Gummidruck of 1904, of
which I have a copy and a translation. Then it was repeated at the Royal
Photographic Society a couple times, in 1906 and 1908, so I can imagine that
the British put it into canon before Anderson and Anderson just copied.
Personally I have never used it. It was too anal for me, and since I use a
thicker gum and size now, stain is not a problem.
Chris

> Judy said: The business as far as
> I can tell (after reading most of the early lit) began with Paul Anderson,
> who devised the "test". ANDERSON WAS A FORMER ENGINEER ! The editors of >
the 1939 Handbook of Photography, whose stated aim was to make a book as >
authoritative for photography as an engineering handbook was for engineers >
(!!!!) thought it was dandy, so they included it, and from there it has