Re: Silly little Kodak History question.

From: Wayne D ^lt;wdewitt@snip.net>
Date: 07/13/05-03:02:25 PM Z

No, no one else ever developed Kodachrome until very recently. The equipment cost (at one time) was about $10,000,000.00 dollars per setup, required several thousand square feet of floor space, must be run continuously, and passes many thousands of feet of film through it daily. Only Kodak could afford to do it and they wouldn't license it to anyone else. At their height I think Kodak had maybe 10 processors in the entire U.S., and maybe half that number spread throughout the rest of the world. Curious, I checked the Kodak home page. It appears that there are only 3 processors now operational in the entire world, and the only one run by Kodak is in Switzerland. "Dwayne" apparently bought a setup from Kodak and has it up and running.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=1147

There were several Kodachrome processes during Kodachrome's 60+ year history (among them: K-11, K-12, and K-14 if I remember correctly). The older processes can probably be developed into a B&W image but certainly not color by other processors.

Wayne