Re: APIS, hydroquinone hardening

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/15/05-01:38:33 AM Z

From: MARTINM <martinm@SoftHome.net>
Subject: Re: APIS, hydroquinone hardening
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:32:36 +0200

> Maybe, maybe not, that's why I suggested to give it a (practical)
> try. As e.g. the highly disputed subject of chrome
> hardening-crosslinking-tanning suggests, there seem to be areas
> where theory may be way behind practical tests. Maybe oxidized
> metol is different from what the theory about "tanning development"
> predicts. Incidentally, I am aware of at least one case where a
> metol/ascorbic acid developer was said to harden a silver halide
> emulsion.

I don't think crosslinking mechanism of chromium is disputed.

Also, I am not doing photography for sentiments of amateur
chemists. I'm merely using chemistry to achieve what I need to
do.

> So what do we do about "tanning development"?

How can you argue tanning action of hydroquinone, metol, whatever,
without knowing the current state of knowledge?