Re: argyrotype paper

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/24/05-11:13:24 PM Z

From: Don Bryant <dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: argyrotype paper
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:20:52 -0400

> The heavier papers will delaminate and bubble when wet for lengthy
> periods that one normally has processing and washing prints. Avoid
> anything heavier than 90lb. I discovered this the hard way.

Thanks! I'm glad to know this before punching in my credit card number...

> At one time there was a discussion about the different metrics used
> to describe paper weight. Apparently there is rhyme and reason for
> it all but I've long forgotten the history of why there isn't one
> universal measurement for paper weight. Look in the archives a few
> years back.

In my few years on this list I only know of one thread on this topic,
which I started... There is one universal unit for paper
weight. That's the gsm (gram per square meter). Paper weights denoted
in gsm do not care what type of paper they are, or what sizes their
full sheet sizes are.