RE: argyrotype paper

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 07/24/05-08:20:52 PM Z

Ryuji,

> Is this the paper everyone is referring to when they say Crane cover
> paper?

Yes.

I went to their website and found heavier 110, 134 and 179lb
> stocks (in 8.5x11 and 20x26 in sizes) but is there a reason why 90lb
> is preferred over 110lb, especially if it's easy to tear when wet?

The heavier papers will delaminate and bubble when wet for lengthy periods
that one normally has processing and washing prints. Avoid anything heavier
than 90lb. I discovered this the hard way.

> What about fluorescent white?

Never used it; Pearl White Wove will work in my experience.

> Below is for my information only (With no relation to current
> politics, I HATE pound system used in American printing system... they
> don't make sense to me unless I figure out things below).

At one time there was a discussion about the different metrics used to
describe paper weight. Apparently there is rhyme and reason for it all but
I've long forgotten the history of why there isn't one universal measurement
for paper weight. Look in the archives a few years back.

Don