Re: polivinyl alcohol vs. gelatin sizing

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 07/30/05-02:58:26 PM Z

From: Giovanni Di Mase <gdimase@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: polivinyl alcohol vs. gelatin sizing
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:28:30 -0400

> Let's be very clear, which one is Elmer's glue made from?

The main ingredient is poly(vinyl acetate) and water.

> When you said PVA is acetate or alcohol?

PVA is an ambiguous acronym. Some people use PVOH to indicate
poly(vinyl alcohol) to avoid confusion.

> Yes, there is a confusion between them.

There is no confusion in terms of chemistry. The confusion is just in
acronyms. It's also that vinyl acetate and vinyl alcohol are often
used as copolymers and also as mixtures of multiple copolymers in
practice to achieve desired properties. One example I gave was acrylic
medium.