Re: polivinyl alcohol vs. gelatin sizing

From: Giovanni Di Mase ^lt;gdimase@hotmail.com>
Date: 07/31/05-05:16:40 AM Z

Thanks Ryuji.

Your explanation seems very complete, it just doesn't match what Kevin
Sullivan told me and I am trying to talk to him (I will email as soon as I
receive his opinion).

You said that the PVA needs to be mixed with gelatin (gum?) for the sizing,
Kevin said that it does a perfect and complete sizing by itself (no gelatin,
no preservative, no hardener).

I am assuming that after you size your paper is when you apply the sensitive
stuff whatever it is (and Kevin uses platinum/palladium).

Somewhere it seems to me to understand that it can be applied on the gum
bichromate process instead of the arabic gum and this is new to me.

In theory PVA is transparent* (just dried or semidried) and should work
better than the arabic gum and if it is not very hard it shoul dissolve in
water leaving only the color portion hardened by the bichromate.

Are we in the same track? Is this correct? Has anybody tried this?

Thanks

Giovanni
* Alcohol version is more transparent than the acetate version.

pd1 I only have used for sizing and works in my case, in my paper, at my
temperature (very hot in Rome-Italy right now)

pd2 This bunch of alternative processes we are trying are not "pure 1850
processes" since we are all digital, right? What's wrong using a better
chemical that did not exist that time?